5 More Setmore Hacks to Nextlevel Your Appointment Scheduling.
One of our aims with Setmore is to create an app that delivers more than just its list of features. We’ve spent many late nights, glued to our desks and lost in a sea of drained coffee cups, chiseling away at Setmore’s codebase to ensure that the app, above all, remains flexible. With a little duct tape and elbow grease (figuratively speaking), you can get Setmore to do virtually anything you need or want it to do. So without further ado, here’s five MORE hacks for taking your scheduling game to the next level.
“If I had some duct tape, I could fix that.” – MacGyver
p.s. In case you missed it, click here to check out the first five Setmore hacks.
Hack #1 – Link to your booking page in different languages
Currently Setmore allows you to change the default language on your booking page, and you can customize the title of your services to be in the language of your preference. But did you know – you can automatically link to your booking page in whichever language you want, regardless of what the default is? Here’s how it works:
- Step 1 – You should have a custom booking page URL if you don’t already. To get one, navigate to Profile > Configure > Company Details and the first item will be Edit Booking Page URL.
- Step 2 – Now append the following text (in red font) to your booking page URL, and swap out “spanish” for whichever language you want:
Note: You can do this as many times with as many languages as you want.
- Step 3 – Post the URL across your social channels, business cards, email sigs, and in buttons on your website to give customers access to your booking page in the language of their preference.
The default page is English, but using this hack, I can link out in any language I want.
Hack #2 – Forward customers directly to class bookings
If you offer both appointments and class sessions, then Setmore by default will show appointment bookings when customers land on your booking page. Normally they’d have to click “book class” from the left-hand menu to access your class offerings. However, if you want give customers a direct link or button to your class offerings, there’s a way to do that.
- Step 1 – You have to be offering a class with session dates already planned out. If you haven’t done this step, do so by navigating to Settings > Classes in your account.
- Step 2 – Now retrieve your booking page URL (reference the previous hack for instructions) and append the following to it:
- Step 3 – Post the URL across your social channels, business cards, email sigs, and in buttons on your website. Easy peasy, right?
Hack #3 – Offer a discount for pre-booking the next appointment
In our last blog post we discussed the value of asking for pre-bookings at the end of an appointment, and how you can offer an instant discount if customers book on the spot. While Setmore allows you to apply discounts to services via the cash register, you can also pre-program in discounted services and hide them from your booking page to make pre-bookings even easier. Instructions below:
- Step 1 – Create a duplicate service of one you already have, and add something to the effect of “Haircut: Prebooked” or “Haircut: 10% Off” to the service’s title.
- Step 2 – Adjust the service cost to the discount rate. For a pre-booking, I’d recommend a 5% or 10% discount.
- Step 3 – This is the important part. In the Service Details page, find the option for “Private” and click its switch to the “On” position. Now the service won’t appear on your booking page, so only your team can access and schedule it.
While customers wrap up their appointment, you can now offer to pre-book the next appointment at the discounted rate (rather than applying a discount after the fact, or forgetting to do so) in just a few clicks. This will save you time, hassle, and ensure customers are properly incentivized to keep coming back.
Hack #4 – Use the booking page to organize followers, volunteers, or events
Setmore is great for businesses, but nonprofits, teachers, volunteer efforts and community projects can all benefit from using Setmore as an organizational tool and personal planner. Even if you’re just scheduling the holiday office party and need to line-up co-workers to bring in foodstuffs, the booking page is a versatile catch-all that will get the job done.
- Step 1 – Create a new Setmore account, and here you’ll pretend that “staff members” are actually the names of your projects. So, staff = projects. As time goes on, you can add new “staff members” to represent new projects.
- Step 2 – Create new services, but treat “services” as tasks within each project. So, services = tasks. Tasks can be re-used across multiple projects, and you can specify which projects include which tasks.
- Step 3 – Use the booking page as your sign-up sheet. Have your colleagues or volunteers pick and choose their “projects” from the services tab, and their “tasks” from the staff provider tab.
Because a basic Setmore account is free, you have an unlimited amount of time to play around with the settings to make the calendar and booking page do exactly what you want it to. This hack also works really well with the next one…
Hack #5 – Create a public calendar that shows your appointments
Your Setmore account comes with an admin calendar that displays all your appointments for the week, but you can’t share this view externally, such as with customers or on your website. At least not yet. However, if you want to give customers an “at-a-glance” view of your availability, you can set up a separate Google calendar and use Setmore’s 2-way syncing ability** to automatically display booked appointments. And, cherry on top, Google lets you embed this calendar anywhere online.
**Note: Because this uses the Google 2-way sync ability, you need Setmore Premium to do this hack.
- Step 1 – Get a free Gmail account and link it with a staff member in your Setmore account.
- Step 2 – Enable Google 2-way calendar sync for this staff member. You can do this by accessing staff details under Settings > Staff, and then scrolling down to the section “Google Sync” in the staff details menu.
- Step 3 – Make the Google calendar public. Go into the Google Calendar and click the gear in the top-right corner, and select “Settings” from the dropdown menu. Next, click the “Calendars” tab and select your calendar, then click the “Share this Calendar” tab. Finally, check the box for “Make this calendar public” and click Save.
- Step 4 – Share the calendar! Go back to the Calendar Details menu (Gear > Settings > Calendars > Your Calendar). Google provides an option to embed the calendar code on your website, or you can simply get the URL by clicking the blue “HTML” box, located mid-way down the page.
And that’s it! Now you can open this URL in a separate tab to see your lovely calendar. With the 2-way sync enabled, appointments will show up in real-time. This is perfect if you’re a contractor or salon specialist who wants to advertise immediate openings in your schedule. It’s also great if you’re doing Hack #4 and want to share a calendar with a birdseye view of all the tasks in a project.
Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?
I hope you found these hacks useful, insightful or inspiring! Most of these came from users like you trying to do something a little quirky or unusual with the app, and then we charted a path to make it work. So if you encounter some strange new way of doing things, don’t be shy – share it with us here, or on Facebook or Twitter!
-The Setmore Team
Know any Setmore hacks of your own, or think you’ve got a problem that could be a candidate for a good hack? Share what you’ve got in a comment below!
by Cassandra @ Setmore
Writer, editor and scheduling product expert at Setmore Appointments.